What does “HCRI” stand for?
- HCRI stands for "Haag Certified Roof Inspector". HCRI-R and HCRI-C were proper designations indicating Residential (R) or Commercial (C) roof inspectors, respectively. In 2013, the acronym changed to HCI-R, HCI-C, and HCI-W (Haag Certified Inspector-Residential Roofs, -Commercial Roofs, and -Wind Damage respectively).
What are the differences between the Commercial, Residential, and Wind Damage HCI programs?
- The Haag Certified Inspector-Commercial Roofs course covers damage assessment of flat roofing systems more commonly found on commercial buildings. Some roofing products covered in the commercial class are: built-up, mod-bit, TPO, PVC, EPDM, SPF, metal roofs, and vegetated roof systems. The Haag Certified Inspector-Residential Roofs course covers damage assessment of sloped roofs more commonly found on residential houses and buildings. The roofing products discussed in the Residential class are composition, wood, tile, metal, slate, and fiber cement/synthetics. The Haag Certified Inspector-Wind Damage course covers wind damage to entire building envelopes rather than focusing specifically on roofs. See our handy chart here for a breakdown of what each course covers.
Is there required experience to be eligible to take the Haag Certified Inspector courses?
- In order to qualify for the Haag Certified Inspector –Residential course, the student must have completed a minimum of 100 residential (sloped) roof inspections as the primary “on roof” inspector. In order to qualify for the Haag Certified Inspector-Commercial course, the student must have completed a minimum of 50 commercial (flat) roof inspections OR must have at least three years of commercial property field adjuster experience. In order to quality for the Haag Certified Inspector - Wind Damage course, the student must have earned the HCI-R or HCI-C designtion OR have completed 100 wind damage inspections as the primary inspector.
Define “inspections” in your required experience prerequisite.
- Inspections are defined as adjusted claims (where you physically inspected the roof yourself), roof damage estimates, home inspections, or post-“event” roof damage assessment, depending on which industry you work in. If you have any questions about eligibility, please call Haag Education’s offices at (800) 527-0168 and ask to speak to Customer Service.
I don’t have the required experience, but I would like to take the HCI class for my basic knowledge. Do you allow this?
- No, you must be eligible for certification in order to attend any HCI class.
What is the cost of the program(s)?
- The cost of registration for each course is $949. Related fees, such as travels costs and application fees for Continuing Education credits (which typically cost $20-$35 per state), are not included. Payment must be paid within 10 days of registering, or by the first day of your classroom course, whichever is first. In the event you register within 10 days of the class start date, you may bring a cashier’s check for your registration fees on the first day of class; note, however, that personal checks are NOT accepted.
Do you offer any industry, company or group discounts?
- If you have a group of 40 or more students, please contact Haag Education at 800.521.0168 to discuss private seminar options for additional savings.
What is included in my registration fee?
- You will receive a full-color HCI workbook and writing pen for the class you are registered for. Additional Haag books and tools will be available at special seminar pricing at the time of registration or onsite at the seminar itself. We provide light beverages and/or snacks each day of the seminar. Lunch, parking, hotel and travel expenses are not included in the registration fee.
I lost my HCI workbook. Can I reorder a replacement?
- Yes. One official HCI handout is given to each attendee on the first day of class attendance. This handout becomes the sole responsibility of the attendee once they receive it after check-in. Haag will not accept responsibility for handouts that are left in meeting rooms overnight, forgotten, etc. The cost of replacement is $150 per handout. Only one replacement handout can be purchased at a time, per person. Replacement handouts are only available for those who attend or have completed the HCI course. If you need to re-order, please email Education@HaagGlobal.com or call 800-527-0168.
What is your cancellation policy?
- A full refund, less a $50 Administration Fee, will be issued if you cancel more than 30 days prior to the start date of the seminar. 50% of your registration fee will be refunded if you cancel between 30-10 days prior to the class start date. If you cancel within 9 days of the start of the class, you will not receive a refund. Haag offers 1 Complimentary Transfer to another HCI program if you notify us at least 10 days prior to the start of the course date. A $100 transfer fee will apply if you cancel less than 10 days prior to the class date, or if you have already used your complimentary transfer. If you fail to notify us of cancellation or fail to appear for any part of the course you have registered, you will forfeit your registration fees in full.
How long does my certification last?
- Certification lasts one year from the date of your class. You will have the opportunity to requalify and renew your certification on an annual basis the first 4 years, then you will be required to re-take the course (classroom or on-line) on the fifth year after your original class.
What is the cost to recertify?
- Recertification is $99 annually. Recertification fees are due at the time of the requalification quiz and must be paid by credit card. You can take your annual quiz up to 45 days prior to your expiration date. If you hold multiple Haag certifications, your second renewal is only $49. Upon your 5th year of renewal, you will be required to take the classroom course or the on-line course at the current rate. If you allow your certification to expire, you may still requalify/renew after your expiration date. Note that your ORIGINAL month/date of expiration will still apply and will not be changed. You will not be penalized for allowing your Certification(s) to expire. However, you will be considered "inactive" and your qualifications will show as "expired" through our "Find an Inspector" Portal during any period in which your expiration is expired. Fees are not pro-rated if you decide to renew after you annual renewal date. Please note that Haag Education does not accept checks for online store purchases, online seminars, or for annual online HCI recertification fees. Credit cards accepted are: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover. For information on online store purchases, please read our Customer Service and Shipping Page. [Haag Education does, however, accept checks for registration fees for HCI classes, which you may access through our Register page.]
Do I have to pass a test to become Haag Certified?
- Yes, you must score a 70 or higher on the final HCI test. The test is open book and multiple choice.
Can I receive CE credit for taking Haag Certification classes?
Does Haag certify my damage assessments after I successfully complete the HCI course?
- No, Haag does not certify any assessments or findings other than those of Haag employees. Haag Certification does certify that the student attended the HCI course in its entirety, and that the student demonstrated understanding of Haag damage assessment techniques and philosophies by passing a final exam covering the contents of the HCI course.
Do you offer company certifications?
- No, no company may call themselves a Haag Certified company. Haag Certification is an individual certification only. Haag has not and does not certify companies.
May I use the HCI logo(s) in my marketing?
- Yes, once you have passed the HCI course, you are welcome to use the approved logo (not the “official” HCI logo) for marketing purposes. The approved logo can be used on websites, business cards, and marketing brochures. Haag publishes very specific rules/regulations which govern the use of all HCI logos and designations.
Does Haag ever revoke certifications?
- Haag reserves the right to revoke any certification at any time, for any reason. Haag may revoke a certification for any of (but not limited to) the following reasons: misrepresenting your experience at the time of registration for the program, unauthorized use of Haag’s corporate or official HCI logo(s), criminal convictions, etc.